Skip to content

Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity

Spalding University Library – Room 104

853 Library Lane, Louisville, KY 40203

[email protected]

The Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity team strives to ensure that Spalding programs, services, and facilities are accessible to all Spalding students on a non-discriminatory basis.

Our Mission

The Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity is committed to working with all eligible students with documented disabilities — and with faculty and staff — to provide reasonable accommodations in the academic and/or living environment.

Disclosures to the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity are completely confidential and will never appear on a student’s college record. Everyone is unique. The Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity staff want to engage in a dialogue with students about their experiences and expectations. This will help us identify the information necessary to support accommodations. Documentation may help guide these conversations. This often provides insight into how a student’s disability impacts their higher education experience. We reserve the right to request more documentation to support specific accommodations, but we encourage students not to delay meeting with us out of concern for not having the appropriate paperwork.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the first step if I feel I need to access accessibility services?

  • Read all information on the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity website. If questions are not answered, contact a member of the CALE team (through the Contact tab) to answer questions specific to your case.  A meeting can be scheduled to discuss your questions.

Can I be denied admission to a post-secondary school if I have a disability?

  • No. If you meet the essential requirements for admission to that college or university, you cannot be denied based solely on the fact that you have a disability.

Do I have to be registered with Accessibility Services to receive academic accommodations?

  • If you wish to receive academic accommodations, you must submit relevant documentation and be approved by the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity (see Documentation Guidelines).

It has been more than four years since I’ve had a psychological evaluation. Can I still apply for academic accommodations?

  • The Accessibility Services team will review documentation more than four years old on a case by case basis.

Can I apply for academic accommodations if I am in the process of having a psychological assessment evaluation performed?

  • In some cases, you can be given a temporary accommodation letter. Please contact us for more specific information.

What would I do if I suspect I have a disability but have never had an evaluation or documentation to support that?

  • You would need to contact a professional in the area of the suspected disability and discuss obtaining a complete an evaluation to document whether or not you have a disability. More specifically, you should be asking for a full battery of psychological assessments to determine a diagnosis.
  • If you are unable to provide documentation from a psychiatrist, psychologist, or certified mental health professional, please reach out to Spalding University’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS) for a full battery of assessments at no charge. This process is time-consuming and may take two or more sessions at the Spalding University Counseling Center to complete.
  • If you have questions about what kind of professional services to seek, please set up a time to discuss your concerns.  Please note that accommodations cannot be accessed without sufficient documentation.

Does the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity provide psychological assessment?

  • No, please reach out to the Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS) at [email protected]. We work closely with CaPS to ensure students are able to have the appropriate assessments for their unique circumstances.

Who pays for the evaluation if needed for documentation purposes?

  • It is not the responsibility of the post-secondary school to conduct or pay for a new evaluation. It is the responsibility of the student to seek funding to pay an appropriate source to pay for the evaluation. If you are eligible for and/or receive Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Services, you may be able to get an evaluation through that agency at no cost to you. A full assessment is free for Spalding students through Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS).

Are accommodations automatically provided each year, once I apply with the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity?

  • The application process must be completed for each academic year, in order to access services.
  • If you wish to use your academic accommodations, it will be your responsibility to share your official accommodations letter issued to you from the university with your professors each session.
  • Academic accommodations are not retroactive, therefore it is highly recommended you share your official university accommodations letter with your professors at the beginning of each session to avoid a delay in services.

Should I wait until the end of the semester, or until I start struggling, to disclose my disability?

  • It is up to you to disclose your disability whenever and to whomever you would like. If you have received accommodations in high school through either a 504 plan or IEP, you may need some academic adjustments to be successful in college. Again, that is entirely up to you. You are not required to disclose your disability unless you want to access services through the Accessibility Services office. Please Note: Academic adjustments are not retroactive.

Who will have access to the documentation I submit to the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity?

  • Information collected from health care professionals will not be released outside of the  Center. Likewise, our team will not speak with other health care professionals, coaches, friends, or your parents without your expressed written consent.

Will my transcripts reflect the use of academic or non-academic accommodations?

  • Your transcripts will not reflect the use of any type of accommodation, nor will they indicate if you were registered with the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity.

How long is documentation submitted to the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity kept on file?

  •  We keep all submitted documentation on file for one year after a student leaves the university.

What do I do if I have reason to believe my access to accommodations has been denied?

  • Students who are not receiving the accommodations they are eligible for and have requested through the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity, should first contact the Director. If after mediation a student still has reason to believe they have been denied accommodations, they are encouraged to utilize the mechanisms in place to bring about a timely resolution. Please read the Grievance Process for further information.

What do I do if I feel that I am being treated unfairly because I have a disability?

  • Please contact the Director of the Center for Accessibility and Learning Equity to discuss your particular concerns, or refer to the Grievance Procedures found on the Accessibility Services website for the steps to ensure that you may raise your concerns and have them addressed.

Are Service and Emotional Support (Assistance) Animals allowed on campus?

Does the Office of Accessibility Services provide counseling services?

  • The Counseling and Psychological Services Office (CAPS) offers free counseling services for all students. Please contact CAPS at [email protected].

Are tutoring services available?

  • Spalding University has several student support services available including peer tutoring, study halls, test prep, study spaces, research and writing consultations, and a Math Lab with specific, subject-based tutoring.

Is assistive technology available for students registered with the Office of Accessibility Services?

  • If using assistive technology has been suggested as a learning aid for students in their psycho educational evaluation, it is highly recommended they consider purchasing an aid for use at the post-secondary level. There are many different types of assistive technology aids that can be purchased to assist in note taking, reading text books, and writing essays. Interested students should contact their local Vocational Rehabilitation Office for more information about assistive technology.

Do all of the buildings on campus have accessible entrances?

  • All of the academic buildings, as well as the two main residence halls, have an accessible entrance.

Contact Us:

[email protected]

Location: Spalding University Library – Room 104

853 Library Lane, Louisville, KY 40203